Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gym memberships for less


Did you know the YMCA offers financial assistance for memberships? I recently received a flyer in the mail with this information and thought I’d go check it out. I had always assumed the Y cost a small fortune to join, especially since the one by us has a pool and offers childcare.

Turns out, not only do they have some great programs, many of which are included, but their membership fees are pretty comparable to other area gyms. Years ago, (we’re talking more than 10 years here) I had a membership to Club One, subsidized through my employer at the time. Their enrollment fee back then was something crazy like $300, and my monthly membership was $65 if I remember correctly. After doing research into other gyms in the Peninsula area, I’ve been hard-pressed to find too many gyms that charge less than $60 or so a month. Well, for an individual membership, the YMCA charges a pretty reasonable $90 enrollment fee and $70 a month. Wow. If you account for inflation, the Y membership is much, much cheaper. For a two-parent family membership, kids included, enrollment is $150 and the monthly fee is $108. The family membership includes ALL dependents living at your address under 24 years of age. So if you have one kid or six, you can all use the facilities. They also have discounted rates for seniors, teens, and college-age adults.

So onto what membership includes. You get full use of the facilities, which house a lap pool, family pool, full workout room with weights and cardio machines. You have access to something crazy like 200 classes a month, FREE childcare, up to two hours per day while you work out (which includes enclosed outdoor play time for the kids). They also have all sorts of additional and some included programs like kids dance classes, swimming classes and youth camps.

This place is also crazy family-oriented like no other gym I’ve found in my area. As long as kids pass a safety test, they’re allowed to work out in the weight/cardio room at age 8. They also offer a number of parent-child exercise classes, and special family pool time.

If the membership fees are out of your budget, and let’s be honest, if you’re reading this, you probably don’t have an extra $70-100 a month to spend on working out, just ask for a financial aid application at the front desk. You can apply for assistance with gym costs or for things like the youth camp programs. I’m not sure what the income cutoff is, and I would assume it probably varies by where you live. To check out your local YMCA facility, see their website

2 comments:

  1. I loved going to the Y as a kid! Took swim lessons there and pretty sure I stayed in the daycare place while my mom worked out. That is a pretty decent price for everything you get, but great tip about the financial aid packet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe what all was included. All the other gyms around here are close to $100/month and all you get is the weights, cardio machines and a few classes. I'm really hoping we can join later this year!

    ReplyDelete