Friday, February 15, 2013

So this is why I'm broke!


This article gives you an idea of the cost of living here in the Bay Area. Essentially, close to 16 percent of residents in the South Bay and Peninsula areas make about $191K per year. Let’s just say, I do not make that. I do not make even close to that. I have never made close to that, lol.

The article makes it sound like everyone who lives here is rich, but the thing is, the other 84% of us are barely scraping by. According to apartments.com, you’d be hard pressed to find a 2 bedroom apartment around here for under $2K a month. If you go by recommended budgeting advice and allot 25% of your income to rent or mortgage, that means you’d need to make about $96K a year just to afford an average 2 bedroom apartment. The BLS claims that the mean national wage in 2011 was $45. That’s HALF of what it costs to live here, meaning roughly 84% of South Bay residents are most likely paying half their income to housing costs. Get laid off and have to collect unemployment? Assuming you were making 96K, then you’d qualify for the maximum amount of unemployment benefits and that would leave you with $1800 in monthly income. And suddenly, job loss means you are homeless. A budget is rendered useless. Good times. The situation is exponentially worse when you’re paying on a mortgage which can average about $750K here for a modest house. I feel for those of you in that boat.

This whole income disparity/cost of living in the Bay Area is a big reason I wanted to start this blog. While 16% of the population is doing okay and can actually afford their housing, the other 84% can’t. And yet, we’re somehow surviving here. We are still living and eating and raising families. But it isn’t easy, and I want to share any and everything I come across that might help someone else keep their head above water here.

So if any of you have figured out how to make six plus figures while sitting at your dining room table, I’m all ears. Just kidding. Sort of. 

6 comments:

  1. Holy moly, girl. That's insane! I'm grateful that the cost of living here is comparatively stable. But I hear the Bay Area is absolutely amazing. Keep blogging! Post regularly, comment like mad on other people's blogs, join Yakezie! Those are my suggestions! I totally support what you're doing! Sounds a lot like my original reasons for starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love living here. You can't beat 70 degrees in Feb! And thanks so much for the encouragement!! :) What is this Yakezie thing I keep hearing about? I am *just* getting started and trying to carve out time to read all the blogger books I've checked out from the library to figure out how to make this more efficient/learn how to connect to people/bloggy etiquette, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yakezie is a blogger network for personal finance bloggers. You sign up (free,) make bloggy friends, discuss things on the boards, etc. It's really great. I have a button for them on my blog if you wanna check it out.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog but it also makes me homesick! I moved to So Cal a few years ago for work and I miss the BA. You are absolutely right about home prices... my parents are in the process of selling their home in San Mateo and it looks like they might get upwards of $990,000 (I know, can you believe it?). They were NEVER wealthy, they just bought at the right time (pastor and teacher). Aside from the weather and the overall GREEN of Northern Cal, I especially miss the farmers' markets. You an find good deals on great tasting produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for stopping by :) It's always tough talking to folks who don't live here, who just can't comprehend that a million dollar home here can often mean a modest 3 bedroom, depending on the neighborhood. And I'm shocked to hear there aren't good farmers markets down south. I would think you'd have an even better selection down there!

      Delete
  4. By the looks of it, I can actually say that those people who are living in that area are well-off. One can’t afford to have an apartment if he’s not, right? Anyway, what concern me are those who earn basic wages. The housing cost is so high, and half of their income goes to the house expenditures. And I believe that it won’t be practical, especially when they faced an unexpected financial crisis.

    Eustolia Nitta

    ReplyDelete